Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Lucky" 7

The number "7" has always figured prominently in my life. As a young soccer player I always attempted to score the jersey with a 7. If I had to choose a number between 1 and 10, it was a no brainer: 7. Jesus used 7 too, which as a youngster I always felt was important- he instructed that one is to forgive 70 times 7. I even have a color associated with the number: a bright emerald green. (Though to be fair I associate most numbers with colors: 2 is red, 3 is blue, 5 is yellow...) While I have never attributed any magical powers to 7 I have always thought of it as "my" number. Dunno why. Of course there are some people who REALLY like the number as they are actually naming their children after the number- bizarre. Perhaps they know something that I do not?)

I never realized just how special the number 7 would be. This year ('07) we welcomed our 7th child. I was happy to meet his dear self, and felt just fine with this perhaps being our "finale" addition. While I don't claim to know God's will for our life with regard to family number I feel good about this lovely 7th child. 5 girls framed between 2 boy book ends. Neat and tidy- utterly unreflected in the rest of our life- and wonderful.

One frustration that I will always have is the constant comments from others insisting that this surely "must" be our last child. Why would a complete stranger care about my family composition and number? Perhaps they just can't see how lucky* we are with 7.

*when I say lucky I am actually saying blessed....

No comments: