Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Baby

Like grains of sand
The brevity of your babyhood
Sifts through my fingers.
I cannot freeze time-
And while I don’t think I would wish to
STOP
TIME
Altogether, I sometimes wish to travel through it.
Back to sweet moments of a freshly bathed head on my shoulder
The pat, pat of your chubby hands on my arm
That first chuckle…
Other times I predict into the future-
“she will be a spirited child, a strong-willed wonder”

Today I gaze mesmerized by your tiny hands,
dimpled knuckles grasping at toys, books
your copper highlighted head angled intently toward paper.
acutely aware of the twinge I feel in my gut
melancholy
Already I mourn the loss of you as a baby
I watch you- try to paint you on a cellular level,
Your fiery will , your smile, your softness
The sound of your toddling feet, your giggle
lest I grow old and forget
you as My Baby

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was very beautiful!!!

Dot, from TOK

Kristin said...

Beautiful post! I like your style, too, and hope you keep writing.

(YankeeMom, also from TOK)

Anonymous said...

The beauty of your love shows through in the writing. Fear not, your daughter as she is today is etched in your heart. The visuals are recorded in your writing. You will not forget!