Thursday, May 06, 2010

Protecting our wishes




"Your will, not mine, Lord." I whisper as I swirl lingering concerns in my mind over our children. "Your future that only you can see is what I wish for my dear hearts!" I profess to Him who knows that I am only partially telling the truth...

I have dreams for my children, things I wish for them. I pray for God to have his way with them- to give them what they need, no matter what that may be, while I inwardly cringe, even praying against those very "growth opportunities." I know that it is in the valleys of life where we grow, where we strive toward the hill and arrive stronger. I hate to think of my children having to be dredged through the mire to ultimately gain wisdom. In a secret place in my heart I hide my selfish ambition for their futures: the sweet blossom-framed vignettes replete with smiles, great loves, fulfilling occupations. The world has obstructed my true desire for their future. And so I confess to you all that I want it all for them. I will protect my wish.

No comments: