Thursday, April 22, 2010

That Girl

My daughters thunder up the stairs to the computer from their small group bible study and started frantically clicking. With red-rimmed eyes they gathered together, the glow from the screen illuminating their adolescent faces: round, doe-eyed, uneven skin, artfully messy flat-ironed hair. Their intensity and single mindedness to see the video was surprising... their silence while watching it was shocking in the usual din that surrounds 12 year old girls. Big doings. I peek over their shoulders. Ah, yes. The Lifehouse skit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA

In short the young woman in the skit was shown around creation by Christ, delighting in the perfecting of being His. She was then was wooed from his side by drugs, alcohol, and idolatry. Victoriously Jesus slays them all to get back his beloved and be reunited with her... Soft sobbing escapes the center of the huddle while hovering at the edge silent tears spilled down cheeks- no thought given to the painstakingly applied makeup. Seeing Jesus fighting for His child in the skit eclipsed all vanity.

My heart lurches as I praise Him who loved me enough to save me from the life I led as a young woman not dissimilar from the life of the woman in the skit that they now watch. Will I ever tell them how far from the Lord I was when he met me there? The lonliness and darkness I lived with? Will I explain the miracle that happened when shame was banished from my life by God's powerful hand? Do I tell them about the girl I was before I became a new creation in Him? I breathpray to my God thanksgiving that the girls GET THAT JESUS WILL FIGHT FOR THEM. He is so faithful- I pray they will not have to go to the struggles that the woman in the video does... May they never stray from His side I plead in my mind.

The screen dims and in the heartbeats that follow, the house in usual before-bed chaos seems over loud. The three girls are statue-still. Until A. places her hand on the mouse. She clicks play. There is nothing better than watching your hero rescue the girl- again.

Someday I will tell them that I was that girl.

No comments: